Re: Help - have I been hacked

On Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003, Res quoted Joe saying:

Trying to set up sitewide spam filtering on a relay
host without having to create local unix accounts
for each user is what finally pushed me over the

And then, also on Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003, Res replied to Joe's comments, saying:

Not quite sure what you mean by this as its extremely vague comment, but
yes we do filter on a relay box with only root and a smtp user, unless I
read what you said wrong, you sure as hell don't have to create them on
every box.

And then I shared my measly $.02... I'm interpreting what Joe said the same way Res did, and Joe, I think you're wrong about this one. It is plenty easy to setup a mail relay running sendmail, doing site-wide spam filtering, without creating local unix accounts for every user. You just use the virtusertable and aliases instead of creating users, and set up a global .procmailrc file that calls spam assassin. Voila. I can't speak to how much more work it might be to do with postfix, but it isn't much with sendmail.
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>