Install Help

Hi,
I hope this is the right place to ask for help, if
not, please forgive the intrusion.

I'm trying to do a fresh install of RH9. I have a dual
boot, Win2k and Linux. Have the partition setup
already. I've looked at the documentation but I can't
figure out what I'm missing.
Problem #1

Everything seemed to install ok, no errors reported
after the dependencies are check by the install.

I tried using the boot disk I made, but these are the
errors when it loads:

modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/modules.dep (no such file or
directory)

Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:
mount:Label=/ duplicate-not mounted -failed

Finding module dependencies: depmod: can't open
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/modules.dep for writing -failed

The bootup dies right after the last message. I
reinstalled, but that didn't help either.
PROBLEM #2

I chose the GRUB install in the MBR. Is this right?
When I reboot I'm given no choices as to where to
system to use.
How do you make a dual boot system?

Thanks in advance for any help!