Re: rpm -i -- segementation faults?

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 12:47, Steve Ellis wrote:
> Has anyone had the issue of rpm instance failing and requiring a reboot
> to get rpm to work properly again?
>
> I tried to install some rpm's from freshrpms (mplayer, transcode, etc)
> and had to firstly confirm no dependencies by running rpm in the bash
> shell (in the gui nothing happened)
> rpm -i --test whatever.i386.rpm
>
> if this was OK then I did the rpm -i
>
> if there was a dependency package missing sometimes it would alert me
> other times it would report a segmentation fault. After the segmentation
> fault I could still run the rpm --test but any attempt would leave rpm
> running only a -9 kill would release the process.

First, if rpm crashes or is killed, you can just remove the locks in
/var/lib/rpm (files beginning with underscores).

But the only times I've seen rpm segfault is on a machine with broken
memory, so I'd advise you run the memory tester from www.memtest86.com
before your system is really hosed.

After that, you could look at apt-rpm to resolve the dependency problems
for you...

--
Klaasjan Brand <kjb@xxxxxx>