Re: java install (was bash/terminal)

Please forgive me for replying to several messages at once.  I get the digest
and this was convenient.

>> Can't run /sbin/ifup as user, which I could before.
>
>Of course, if you are a user, you aren't root.

But I used to be able to run it as user.

>> Say, now come to think of it...Did I read somewhere that Shrike was
>> changing the default terminal application?

>Is this a wireless link?  If you want user control, make sure that
>USERCTL=yes is set in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX.  Also,
>there is a bug in the network scripts that prevents users from controlling
>wireless links, which have config file permissions that don't permit world
>readability (Bugzilla #88568).  One workaround is to make
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX world readable, but that exposes
>the WEP key.

It's just an ADSL link through a DSL modem attached to the machine on my eth0.
Previously I could run ifup as user, but now I have to SU first, because the
bash shell says "users can not control this device".
When I ran adsl-setup I told it to allow users to control it, which had
worked fine in Psyche.
I can still connect, I just have to SU first, which means my sister who is living
here can't connect as user, and I am certainly not giving her my root password,
even though she is a Windows person and only uses my machine to surf and check her e-mail.
I will try this work-around.

>--
>		Matthew Saltzman
>
>Clemson University Math Sciences
>mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx
>http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs
>

>> Should the java be in there somewhere too?
>> How do I export it so it is in the path?
>
>You can (as root) edit your /etc/profile thus:
>(append the java path)
>   fi
>done
>unset i
>
>JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2re1.4.2
>PATH=/usr/java/j2re1.4.2/bin:$PATH
>
>Cheers,
>
>Elton ;-)
>
>--
>   http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_4504.html
>  "You only live once, so let's make life EASIER for each other."
>  LINUX Registered User #193975. AMD-K7 ATHLON CPU power on board.

I did
$ export PATH=$PATH: /usr/java/jr2e1.4.1_02/bin
and that place java in my path,
but I have not been able to export /sbin using this method for some reason.

>Message: 6
>Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:20:49 -0700
>From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: java install (was bash/terminal)
>
>Elton Woo wrote:
>
>>On April 26, 2003 11:28 pm, anthony baldwin wrote:
>>... (edited)...
>>

>>>Should the java be in there somewhere too?
>>>How do I export it so it is in the path?
>>>

>>You can (as root) edit your /etc/profile thus:
>>(append the java path)
>>   fi
>>done
>>unset i
>>
>>JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2re1.4.2
>>PATH=/usr/java/j2re1.4.2/bin:$PATH
>>
>I think the redhat way actually works better
>
>I just insert the line
>"pathmunge /usr/local/java/bin after"
>
>just before the line
>"unset pathmunge"
>
>in /etc/profile
>
>Cheers,
>
>Joe
>

>Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:31:39 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: bash/terminal issue
>
>On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 05:46:47PM -0700, anthony baldwin wrote:
>> > For instance, in the old console I could run /sbin/ifup as a user,
>> > but bash tells me that only user can do it.
>> > When I first upgraded I had not trouble doing it, but second log in and since
>> > I have had this issue.
>> > I miss my old console.
>> Do you mean that only root can run /sbin/ifup? That only depends on
>> the permissions of ifup. Allow any user to execute it and then make
>> it SUID root and you will be able to run it. If you put /sbin in your
>> path and you can run it as just ifup. Install modem lights on your
>> panel and you can run it with a click of your mouse,
>
>I don't think this will work.  For one thing, you're not supposed to make
>scripts suid.
>
>I posted in another message about how to use USERCTL and a bug in the code
>for user-controlled wireless interfaces.
>
>--
>		Matthew Saltzman
>
>Clemson University Math Sciences
>mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx