Re: backup strategy running php-script (cli)

I use quite a few php scripts for various small tasks. Usage ranges from stats processors (bandwidth, ftp trafic), quota/usage report generators, database actions (remove expired/invalid transactions) to shell tasks. Main reason for me to use php for it was to leverage the existing knowledge of the people i work with, they are experianced with php thru their web projects so this is a lot easier to use & modify, thus making it less bug-prone and easier to maintain.

Since most of these types of scripts are more in the category of 'quick hacks', i doubt there's a lot of migration guides.. However if you search freshmeat.net you'll find there's quite a few php scripts out there already for various tasks.

Main thing you need to keep in mind is to start the script with #!/usr/bin/php -Cq (Console & quiet), console disables the run time time out and quiet supresses the php version headers.

-- Chris

Jochen Kächelin wrote:

Does anybody use php-scripts instead of perl- or shell-scripts
to some system adminstration tasks such like compressing,
analysing logfiles, creating statistics?

I hate perl although I know its very powerfull - so I deciced
to do some tasks with php.

Are there some sources describing "migration" from perl/shell
to php?