parted (strange layout), trying to resize and clone a partition

I'm trying to copy a partition from one drive to another, with partimage
(partimage.org).

Source Disk (20Gb)
/dev/hda1 /boot 150Mb
/dev/hda2 linux swap 384Mb
/dev/hda3 / 19 Gb

Using Partimage I was able to clone the MBR and /dev/hda1, however there
is a problem when trying to restore the image image of "/", since the
source partition was 19Gb - and the destination disk was only 7Gb.

I though this would be easy, use parted to resize the 19Gb partition to
a few Gb (The / partition only has a 1.45Gb used). I tried 1.6.5 (over
1.6.3), but it simply produces an error of "not implemented ext2
filesystem has a rather strange layout".

Any pointers, better software, or other way of thinking about the
problem?
I see the problem, as: i) parted won't resize the source partition, and
ii) partimage won't resize the image as it writes it out from the image
file.

UPDATE: Since I sent this first of all to shirke-list, I think I've
figured it- but need someone else to convince me that I'm doing the
right thing (scapegoat would be better ;-).

- Use resize2fs to ensure that the file-system is shrunk.
- Delete the big partition with fdisk
- recreate the big partition (smaller), MAKING SURE it starts at the
same place
- write out fdisk changes reboot.

I did this on a test partition, but feeling sleepy bailed out (used
fdisk to just remove the partition). During reboot the "root password
for maintenance" was required- I can't quite remember what was needed
there.
--
Regards,
Adam Allen.