Re: strange cd burner buffer underrun

Klaasjan Brand wrote:
Hello,

I'm wondering if I'm getting "correct" behaviour with xcdroast/cdrecord:
using a Plextor 48x IDE CDRW drive I'm getting buffer underruns when
burning from an image file. Burning audio or data doesn't make a
difference. The first 40-50% of the cd burns fine, after that, xcdroast
shows the cdrecord fifo dropping to 0%, the writer buffer dropping to 0%
and burn-proof pausing the writer. It succesfully completes the write,
but the fifo remains at 0%, just the writer buffer seems to be filled.

An experimental 2.5 kernel boot seems to show a much better cdrecord
behaviour...

I've read about the cd burning problems in phoebe/rh9, but haven't found
out if this is a "bug" or just my system (P3, i815 chipset/ide).

Klaasjan Brand <kjb@xxxxxx>

Since the CDR issues are pretty erratic and maybe the cdrecord provided at the below location might help. I provided the information.

It seems that the development kernel text is always available at the below link.

RH backported some features from the 2.5 kernel. Maybe the help for 2.5 builds might get more cd problems cleared away.

http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt

Jim

<excerpt>

CD Recording.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Jens Axboe added the ability to use DMA for writing CDs on
ATAPI devices. Writing CDs should be much faster than it
was in 2.4, and also less prone to buffer underruns and the like.
- Updated cdrecord in rpm and tar.gz can be found at
*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/tools/
- With the above tools, you also no longer need ide-scsi in order to use
an IDE CD writer.
- Ripping audio tracks off of CDs now also uses DMA and should be
notably faster. You can also find an updated cdda2wav at the same location.
- Send good/bad reports of audio extraction with cdda2wav and burning with
the modified cdrecord to Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx>
- Currently only 'open by device name' works in cdrecord.
cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdX -inq
- More info at http://lwn.net/Articles/13538/ & http://lwn.net/Articles/13160/

This was to the point. Any volunteers?

 o ide_scsi is completely broken in 2.5.x. Known problem. If you need it
    either use 2.4 or fix it 8)

--
I live the way I type; fast, with a lot of mistakes.