Re: C++ In Linux?

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 00:18, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Can anyone reccomend a good C++ tutorial that is up to date and covers
> as many platforms as possible?
>
> For example when I tried this:
>
> #include <iostream.h>

Yes that deprecated for:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

etc...

Try:

http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/jak/proglang/cpp/stltut/tut.html

Don't know if it's great or not, I just googled for 'STL tutorial'. :)

> g++ will give a warning that this header is deprecated and I should make
> every effort to use the new headers. The one containing cout and endl
> appears to be <iostream>, but some of the books I see on the shelves
> don't cover these. And this in turn seems to influence coding syntax.
>
> I need to learn C++, but learn it on both Linux/Unix and Microsoft
> platforms. The C++ books I've seen at Borders all assume I am using
> Windows.

While MSVC is good for core Windows development. MS has in the past not
followed the standards when it comes to languages - This being very
evident in the STL implementation fiasco in MSVC 6. :/ May I suggest you
think about using the best Win32 variant of the GNU toolset, which is
Cygwin!

Regards

Philip Wyett

--