Laptop upgrade from 8.0 to 9.0

Hello,

Just thought I would try and use the upgrade path to move my Sony SR21K
to Redhat 9 (current install is 8) and it seems to have issues.

Using the graphical install route I don't get as far as the X part of
the installation as it seems to freeze after loading the 1394 driver,
I'm then left on the blue screen with nothing happening on the laptop or
the cd... and no further messages forthcoming.

I'm not even getting to the point where I can choose to upgrade

Any thoughts / clues / help ?

The upgrade works fine on another laptop I did, just seems to have
issues with firewire

TIA

Regards
Dave