Re: Redhat 9 can't print to Win2000 shared printer via Cups/Samba?

Yeah I tried that too, but host resolution is not the problem. Even if I set the host entry by IP for the SMB print que it still is flaky....It's like the Redhat9/Cups/Samba combo is not negotiating properly with the printer share on W2K. My W2K box has all patches and .net updates....I hope that is not the problem. I even tried this using a Knoppix Linux boot CD on the Redhat 9 machine and that has the same problem as Redhat 9 trying to connect to the print share. I will try this with a WinXP host sharing the printer instead and see if W2K is the problem.

Thanks Mike,

Dan

From: Mike Chambers <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RedHat - Shrike <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Redhat 9 can't print to Win2000 shared printer via Cups/Samba?
Date: 24 Apr 2003 21:58:07 -0500

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 21:45, Dan Genn wrote:

> The printer is directly connected to lpt1 on the W2K machine and shared as
> HP5N. On the Redhat 9 machine I am just trying to setup a smb print que via
> printconf to print to this Windows printer share. Samba on the Redhat box is
> only used to talk with the other Win boxes...not to share anything - it's a
> netbios client here. The applet (printconf or redhat-config-printer) tries
> to autodiscover the host/share (which is flaky)- sometimes it only sees the
> netbios name of the W2K host sometimes it lists both the host and the HP5N
> share. The hourglass keeps spinning. Even if I set the share up explicitly
> by setting all entries myself, (i.e. workgroup, host, share, id and passwd)
> the applet keeps coming back up with the settings window looking for more
> information. No probs printing through Windows hosts on my network, and
> connecting to netbios directory shares on the W2K box via Redhat 9. Hope
> that is clearer.

You could try this..

On your W2K box, and the linux box, set all IP's/hostnames/aliases to
their respective hosts files.  Maybe that will help each other talk and
such and find the printer.

I got mine connected pretty easily, by just adding new printer to a
samba share with the "Networked Windows (smb)" seletion for Queue type.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Hand over the code, and no one gets hurt!"