Re: Redhat 9 can't print to Win2000 shared printer via Cups/Samba?

The printer is directly connected to lpt1 on the W2K machine and shared as HP5N. On the Redhat 9 machine I am just trying to setup a smb print que via printconf to print to this Windows printer share. Samba on the Redhat box is only used to talk with the other Win boxes...not to share anything - it's a netbios client here. The applet (printconf or redhat-config-printer) tries to autodiscover the host/share (which is flaky)- sometimes it only sees the netbios name of the W2K host sometimes it lists both the host and the HP5N share. The hourglass keeps spinning. Even if I set the share up explicitly by setting all entries myself, (i.e. workgroup, host, share, id and passwd) the applet keeps coming back up with the settings window looking for more information. No probs printing through Windows hosts, and connecting to netbios directory shares via Redhat 9. Hope that is clearer.

From: Mike Chambers <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RedHat - Shrike <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Redhat 9 can't print to Win2000 shared printer via Cups/Samba?
Date: 24 Apr 2003 21:21:32 -0500

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 21:13, Dan Genn wrote:

> I am trying to setup an smb networked printer on my Redhat 9 machine. The
> printer is shared via a W2K machine (other Win clients have no probs
> printing through the share). I have tried to setup the print que through the
> printconf gui in X. The applet finds the host on the network via discovery
> but flakes on the share HP5 for example. Even if I explicitly set the share
> and host (via IP or netbios name) with the guest account I cannot print a
> test page. I can map directory shares no problem from the Redhat 9 box
> however. Has anyone experienced this prob with Cups/Samba and Redhat 9
> printing to a W2K shared printer?

I have my server and workstation setup to print to a shared printer to a
Win ME machine with no problems.  Are you printing directly to the
printer through W2K or did you setup the printer through the W2K
machine, and now trying to set it up for users to print through the
samba server, then to the W2K machine?

And what do you mean it flakes?  What steps are you performing and up to
what step does it finally crash?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Hand over the code, and no one gets hurt!"