Re: Machine VERY slow with vmware 4.0

I have 2 IDE disks, each on a different bus (hda on IDE0 is for RH9 and hdc on IDE1 is for vmware).
I suspect a diskio problem, but with what exactly?

Check the drives with: /sbin/hdparm /dev/hdx (where x = a or c),
especially if the using_dma flag is on. If your motherboard is too new
it could be the ide controller is operating in pio mode which slows a
system down during disk access...

Running hdparm shows me that hda + hdc are using DMA and IO is about 45 Mb/sec
The machine is a 2x Xeon processor using ServerWorks chipset which seems to be well supported by Linux.

Don't know why it's so slow....
-jec