Re: NVIDIA drivers break StarOffice was Re: Staroffice crashing

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 15:37, Carey F. Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Carey F. Cox wrote:
>
> > Gary and Shawn,
> >
> > I also have both openoffice and the nivdia drivers installed on my
> > work computer and all is well.
> >
> > What kind of processor are you running on? Everything is working on
> > my dual PIII at work, but fails on my athlon at home.
> >
> > Carey
>
> Ooops!
>
> I spoke to soon. I had not installed the Nvidia drivers on my work
> computer, but have now and got the same results as my home computer,
> i.e. openoffice seg faults.
>
> Work Computer:
>
> 	dual  750 MHz PIII
> 	Geforce 2 GTS
>
> Home Computer
>
> 	Athlon 1.4 GHz
> 	Geforce 2 Max (?)
>
> As soon as I install the Nvidia drivers, openoffice (staroffice as well)
> is broken. If I uninstall the drivers openoffice is back to working again.

Well, i'd report it to the linux-bugs email address in the NVidia
readme. Do you by chance have the RenderAccel extension enabled? If not,
try adding:

Option "RenderAccel" "1"

below the place that says Driver "nvidia".

Also, make sure you've commented out glcore, fbdevhw, dri, and
uncommented glx.

Also, try adding a new user, and then logging in as that user and using
openoffice then with the new drivers. If that works, then there's like
some configuration issue that's tickling a subtle bug somewhere.

You could also on a lark try disabling AGP for the driver by adding:

Option "NvAGP" "0"

below the place that says Driver "nvidia".

If you already have RenderAccel enabled, you could also try completely
disabling the render extension using:

Option "NoRenderExtension" "1"

--
Shawn <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>