Re: various grievances / nfs / kudzu / nis / kde ..

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 14:12, Antoine Martin wrote:
> * NFS: I can't seem to find any options for binding nfs to specific
> ports (-p option), either through the gui or in the scripts, which means
> that I can't have nfs for my vpn without unblocking all unprivileged
> ports.

See "man nfs" for more details, but briefly:

Use port=portnumber as an option to your /etc/fstab

or

Use mountport= for the port# of the mountd port.

Or when specifying options from the command line:

mount -tnfs -oport=port# ....etc

> * Where is the tool for configuring NIS?

System Settings->Authentication or:

authconfig-gtk

> * kudzu:
>  - why is kudzu in /etc/fstab? it is not a filesystem option! It does
> not belong there!

It does in this case AFAIK, it's set as owner of the floppy drive due to
probing I believe.

>  - How can i stop it from probing my serial ports? I have had to simply
> disable it for now.

Add the '-s' option for "safe" probing mode, this prevents serial probe,
ddc monitor probe, and ps/2 probe.

>  - How can I stop it to *ever* ask me about my (offline) printer? (keep
> configuration should just keep it forever and not ask me again - unless
> I specifically say that I want to - needs doing too)

You'll have to file a "request for enhancment" on this one, there is no
"keep" forever AFAIK.

>  - Who is going to tell a linux beginner that kudzu is 'hardware
> detection'? Why not have a more sensible name?

I'm fairly certain it says hardware detection when it runs kudzu.

>  - It simply hangs my via-epia boxes half the time.

File a bug then.

> * firewalling: my firewall is on a dynamic IP and requires specific
> rules. lokkit does not allow you to specify which ports to add (beyond
> the basics: http/smtp...). So I end up running it from rc.local.
> Problem is that if my ISP's dhcp server ever gives me another IP, my
> script won't run again. There are /etc/dhcp scripts meant to be run on
> dhcp lease renewal, but I could never get this to run correctly.
> Why can't wget work properly behing a firewall? (wrong port errors)

wget works perfectly behind a firewall, assuming you've configured it
properly. I'm behind one, and it works just fine...

> * kernel: I can make it oops at will, just by using hdparm to spin down
> one of the disks (hdparm -Y) then doing something else.
> redhat kernel is too different from vanilla to be able to compile all
> sorts of things (macros changed, memcpy and friends)

hdparm is not perfect, and subtle differences in hardware will expose
problems. File a bug.

> I can't shutdown cleanly anymore: as soon as I exit X,it clears all my
> windows, looks like it is going back to the text console, but justs sits
> there in graphics mode, with the desktop background. Reset is the only
> way to get it going again. Nothing in XFree log or syslog. (dual athlon
> system)

This has been fixed in rawhide I believe. Someone else mentioned this
earlier.

In short, firewalls are not easy to configure, lokkit already states
that it's not for advanced configuration, just for "simple"
configuration, and advanced configurations like yours are definitely not
the norm.

--
Shawn <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.warpcore.org/