OpenOffice.org 1.02 font menu preview

System: RH9 w/ errata; a fairly complete desktop, workstation, gnome, and kde install.

OpenOffice seemed fine until I installed some basic MS TrueType fonts in ~/.fonts -- following the release notes. Gedit and Kwrite use these fonts ok. So I used OpenOffice.org printer setup to add these fonts to OpenOffice. That seemed smooth too.

But, in OpenOffice, when I drop the font menu either:
  1. OpenOffice disappears or
  2. CPU use goes to 100% and it's hard to recover

As a workaround I have turned off "Preview In Font Lists" in Tools -> Options... -> etc. Now it seems to be working, but I have not worked it hard yet.

This all worked in RH 8.0 and OpenOffice.org 1.0.1. It's the same ~/.fonts directory copied over the LAN and chown to the right user and group. I can't think what I've missed.

This is the first sign of trouble in over a week with a fresh install.

TIA,

Cliff Kent