Re: Sony FR130 Athlon notebook, wireless cards

Brian Stretch wrote:
Anyhow, what wireless card should I get for this? Do any of the 802.11a/b, b/g, or about-to-ship a/b/g cards work? (I'm guessing
no...) What about WiFi PCI cards for my server (also running Shrike), or should I just get an access point?

I've been using the Orinoco Silver 802.11b cards for about 2 years with no problems. Works in Red Hat 7.x-9, SuSE 7.x-8.x, Slackware 7.x-8.x, and Debian.

I use an old Linksys access point with no problems. I think the interoperability of b mode is pretty good now across vendors.

However, I don't think any drivers are working in a/g modes yet, but I haven't really searched for them. Maybe something is in beta now, but I strongly doubt that you will get any cross-vendor stuff working with a/g modes today, even under Windows. One reason is that g mode is not even a finalized spec. Vendors are releasing their own proprietary implementations today to grab market share.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Droplets of yes and no in an ocean of maybe