spiffy automatic CD burner invocation?

When I did a fresh install of Phoebe, I was pleasantly surprised by the new behavior when I inserted a blank CD-R disc in the CD-R drive....but now that I'm running Shrike as an upgrade on my RH 8.0 box, that doesn't happen. Nor does it fire up a CD player automatically when I put an audio CD in the drive. I've clicked

Main Menu>Preferences>CD Properties

and it has all the boxes clicked for things to do when data, audio, and blank CDs (and DVDs) are inserted. I looked at /etc/fstab; the pertinent entries (I think) are

/dev/cdrom        /mnt/cdrom         iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1      /mnt/cdrom1       iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

which match the entries on my wife's RH 8 system (which will fire up the CD player when an audio CD is inserted), save that hers has /dev/dvd instead of /dev/cdrom1.

What am I overlooking? All suggestions and pointers to information are appreciated.

James Jones