Re: Upgrading glibc from i686 to i386 on RedHat9

Michael Fratoni wrote:
One additional problem that the OP will probably encounter is that there is no Red Hat provided kernel package on the install media that will run on a i486 machine. (With the possible exception of the kernel-BOOT package, and even that won't run on anything less than a 486DX, as the BOOT kernel is configured with CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION not set).

If you have the SRPM handy, does it still support i386 or i486 builds in the spec file? I both i386.config and smp-i386.config in the kernel-source package. But it will probably require building a custom kernel now, and again for future updates.

Then again, RHL-9 isn't "supported" on i386 or i486 either.
I think all the packages, while many are i386, are just i386 instruction set compatible, the instruction choices and ordering is i686 optimized.
in other words using the gcc options -march=i386 and -mcpu=i386.

Getting the proper version of glibc installed is all well and good, but if the kernel can't boot, glibc won't matter. ;)

Since this was previously done for RHL-7.3, I guess this has been taken into account.

-Thomas