Re: Slowwwwwnesssss

Usually that means name or uid lookups.

Check that hostname lookups are snappy,
and if not, fix that issue. especially as it
concerns the your system's own hostname
which it should know instantly, forwards
and backwards.

Trim your nsswitch.conf to match reality -

Check that your drives are using dma -

How much RAM in your system - are you
swapping? What's the load average, and
does "top" show any rogue CPU hog?

Not sure what else to think of as the shrike
boxes I have set up seem to be smooth and
responsive - and more solid than 8.0 was -

Joe

Max Z. wrote:

I am running the latest nVidia drivers. X applications take a while to
start. Even console apps are taking their time.