Re: antivirus & Shrike

Elton Woo wrote:

I have firewall, and I run linux only. However, I *do* share
files with others who do NOT use linux.

Ah, you want a windows virus protection
program that runs on linux then - sophos,
mcaffee et al will be happy to meet your
needs.

I was hoping for something other than a smug reply.

Sorry if my reply offended you, but it was a valid reply as many windows converts have well-intentioned questions about how to protect linux from virii -

(I guess you have not heard of _ANY_ linux virii or worms, eh?).

As a sys admin in the trenches I've seen it all.
I've cleaned up some linux systems that were
affected by worms, but the cleanup was quick
and easy, and did not require a reboot. The ms
boxes I've seen hit with worms were in much
worse shape and typically required a reinstall.

As far as virii, I hear the anti-virus companies
come up with grim predictions, but in fact
the difficulty of spreading a linux virus is a
much tougher nut to crack than the typical
windows scenario, in practice.

When it comes to security, I prefer to be "overcautious", as
with any other aspect of safety.

I like to be cautious too - and that caution
is yet another good reason to run a unixlike
OS e.g. linux or OSX - but your point about
not becoming complacent is well taken.

Joe