Re: FW: Survival CD

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Ed Wilts wrote:

>Note, however, that all you currently see in that bug report is reports
>from users - there is no confirmation from Red Hat that this is a bug
>and not user error or something else.
>
>Just because it's been reported by users as a bug doesn't make it one
>(so says a guy who spent part of his career in tech support).

Boy that really hits the nail on the head in my books.  I get a
great many bug reports filed against XFree86, and quite a number
of them are simply not bugs at all.  Close something that is
obviously not a bug as NOTABUG, and quite often you get an angry
inflamatory user response in return.

Other bugs get reported in which the problem is as clear as mud,
either because the person can not adequately describe it and
provide enough technical information that an assessment can be
made on the alleged problem, or because the problem itself is
just too vague and/or unreproduceable.

An example of this, is the type of bug report where a user
reports "X locks up my computer when I am away".  Digging deeper
I learn that it happens for the person about once a month and
just on one machine.  The user is very upset and rude in their
bug report as to how Red Hat could have possibly released such
an unstable product.

Any sane rational person realizes first and foremost that there
is no 100% confirmation that this person's problem *IS* an
XFree86 bug.  It could be an X bug, a kernel bug, a network card
driver bug that hangs during a DMA transfer locking up the PCI
bus and causing the graphics adaptor to corrupt the display due
to inability for the device to communicate any longer.  It could
be a broken video card, an incompatibility between the card and
the motherboard chipset in the current configuration, bad power
supply, bad RAM, buggy motherboard BIOS, APM related bug that
only occurs while X is running for some reason or another, or any
of a number of other explanations.

Nonetheless, beacuse X happens to be running at the time, when
the user comes to the computer and sees that moving the mouse
does not cause the mouse pointer to move on the screen, and
perhaps sees video corruption - bang - they automatically assume
there is an XFree86 bug, and that it is due to a flaw in Red Hat
development or QA process and that we should now drop everything
we're doing and spend 3 weeks investigating this problem, even
purchasing $500-$10000 worth of hardware we don't have to look
into the issue - perhaps to find out 3 weeks and 120 man hours
later that the motherboard BIOS is buggy.  Doh.  Sucks to be Red
Hat and just wasted 120 man hours of effort.

These types of bug reports are unfortunately all too common, and
increasing more and more.

The reality of the situation, at least for XFree86 problem
reports, is that if a problem is transient, or unreproduceable at
will by the person having the problem, it will be difficult if
not impossible for us to even investigate it.  If the person can
reproduce it, and we can not reproduce it, it also is very
difficult if not impossible to investigate.  If problem reports
do not contain enough information and detail, regardless of how
"bad" a problem hits a person or group of people, we can't really
pull a magic rabbit out of our red hats and cast a spell to fix
some alleged problem.

I say "alleged" with all seriousness too, because often these
problems end up being user misconfiguration, or user
misunderstanding of how something works.  Some times it is just
because configuring a particular thing is so complicated that a
user just cant figure it out, and they think they have done it
right and it isn't working so therefore it is a bug in the
software.  This gets more complicated when it isn't clear on
*OUR* side how something is supposed to work either.  It's not
always easy to determine if what a user is doing is right or
wrong in the first place due to the enormity of the configuration
options available and complexity of the whole system.  I'd hate
to spend 3 days troubleshooting a user's problem with some
configuration area I'm unfamiliar with to find out they're not
configuring it properly in the first place and that there is no
bug.  That kind of work is technical support, not bug fixing.

Unfortunately, a lot of user problems and bug reports lay in a
grey area between "bug report" and "technical support request
for help".  Those type of problems quite often are NOTABUG or
are NOIDEA or NEEDINFO - at least until there is enough
information to make a judgement either way, and then wether or
not there is enough info to debug/troubleshoot the given problem
and perhaps fix it.

Nonetheless, the majority of bug reporters with obscure problems
that don't have much information to provide in order for a decent
assessment to be made are a constant source of joy in a
developer's day.  ;o)

The moral of the story I guess, is that there are only so many
hours in a day, and more reports of alleged bugs than developer
hours.  Common sense dictates developers prioritize investigating
and/or fixing problems that are the most reproduceable and affect
the most amount of people with higher priority, and leave the
bugs that are unreproduceable or very complex to investigate
and/or affect the least amount of people potentially with low
priority.

Gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere.  ;o)

Ok, my weekly long email is over.  As y'were.  ;o)