Re: bug in latest glibc RPM updates? [was Re: Survival CD]

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 09:49, Nathan G. Grennan wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 07:09, Atul Chitnis wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, MW Mike Weiner (5028) wrote:
> >
> > > This would be extremely helpful, especially in light of the significant
> > > bug in the latest glibc RPM updates that tend to HOSE machines pretty
> > > well.
> >
> > Uh - any URL's or other references for this? I am about to deploy a couple
> > of RHL9 servers, and that statement of yours makes my hair standup!
> >

> I have seen significant performance loss running mplayer with the latest
> glibc. Even after recompiling it. Unless I add options to change the
> audio driver, etc it reports the system is too slow when really nothing
> else is running and it is an Athlon XP 1700+. On the flip side
> responsiveness seemed to go way up.

I ran up2date last evening, then later watched a few things with the new
mplayer 0.90 from freshrpms and didn't notice any slowdowns. I'd gotten
the "system too slow" message twice from mplayer about a week ago with a
clean RH9 install, but no problems since then or after the updates. I've
got an Athlon XP 1800+ and a Radeon AIW 7500. In fact, mplayer
performance seemed better than it had, especially using the slider to
scan back and forth through a video.
--
Michael Knepher <limbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>