Re: More bugs in 9 than 8.1-3? Samba DoS, Mozilla, Prelink problems

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 10:02, Benjamin Vander Jagt wrote:
> Prelink
>
> When I was using RedHat 8, I spied in the release notes a command to run
> to try out prelinking; something like /usr/sbin/prelink --all
> --conserve-memory.  I tried it, got a few errors, and everything
> continued to work fine.  Nothing crashed, no quirks, no missing
> libraries, etc.  It was slow, though.  In fact, it took about three
> times as long to start Mozilla.  I did the same on another RedHat 8
> system with the same results.

I'm using prelinked libraries and binaries on my RHL9 system with no
problems. To do prelinking, I used

/usr/sbin/prelink -av

This works fine, except that many KDE binaries are not prelinked as the
libGL libraries are not PIC (Program Independent Code).

Why the heck libGL isn't built with PIC support?

> Another bug showed up, and I'm not yet sure if it's related.  When I
> boot, it finishes starting atd (I always to an "Everything" install,
> then I trim out what I don't use from the services.) and then it
> stalls.  I press ctrl-alt-del, and let it reboot.  If I go into
> interactive mode and say yes to everything, it works just fine.

Did you do an "rpm -e at" or "chkconfig --level 12345 atd off"? I'm
running fine with "atd" disabled.

> SMBMOUNT / MOUNT -T SMB
>
> Three out of four times, running this command from a workstation causes
> it to hang until ctrl-C is pressed.  Interestingly enough, the mount has
> been made.

I have a Windows XP computer at home and I periodically mount its
filesystem using smbfs with no trouble at all. What kind of system is
serving files through SMB? Any message on /var/log/messages or kernel
ring? Maybe an strace of the smbmount command could be useful for
tracking this.

Linux Registered User #287198