Re: More bugs in 9 than 8.1-3? Samba DoS, Mozilla, Prelink problems

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:02:40AM -0400, Benjamin Vander Jagt wrote:
> Prelink
>
> When I was using RedHat 8, I spied in the release notes a command to run
> to try out prelinking; something like /usr/sbin/prelink --all
> --conserve-memory.  I tried it, got a few errors, and everything
> continued to work fine.  Nothing crashed, no quirks, no missing

The errors just mean that the libraries it complains about or any binaries
linked against them aren't prelinked.

> libraries, etc.  It was slow, though.  In fact, it took about three
> times as long to start Mozilla.  I did the same on another RedHat 8
> system with the same results.

You mean mozilla starts 3 times longer than when you do prelink -u
/usr/lib/mozilla*/mozilla-bin and retry?
I certainly don't see such behaviour.
mozilla-bin is not a program where prelink helps much, as it has in total
just about 4k relocations (it dlopens most of the libs), it should be way
more visible on something like KDE stuff.

> I tried the same thing in RedHat 9, and still got the same errors.
> (Please forgive my ignorance.  The error had something to do with, um,
> PIC compliance? and stuff refused to link to it.)  In 9, however, I have

Most of the errors are about libGL.so not being PIC, right?
That's something that needs still fixing.

> problems.  Programs (specifically browsers and IM's) freeze and crash
> more often than in Windows.  I end up killing X when it happens, but
> allowing it to log back in doesn't clean it up.  I have to restart.

Are you really sure this is because of prelink and not because
of something else? Ie. if you prelink -ua do the problems away and
if you do prelink -am it appears again? I certainly cannot reproduce it
here either (fully prelinked RHL 9). If you talk about browsers, aren't
you using some JDK which doesn't work together with NPTL?

	Jakub