From: shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Rodolfo J. Paiz
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 9:38 PM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

At 07:01 PM 4/8/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, I suppose when you look at it from an M$ point of view. I can pay
>$200 for a copy of Windows and still get updates for it for the next 3-5
>years. Instead with RedHat I'll have to pay $179 a year for the next 3-5
>years.

I don't think you're being fair at all. The product you get for $179 a year
from Red Hat (Advanced Server, IIRC) does not compete with a $200 copy of
Windows XP Personal. Instead, it competes with a $1,000 copy of Windows XP
Server (with 5 clients, no database, no email, no messaging...) or a $3,000
copy of Windows with a database and messaging. So break-even point is
either 5.5 years, or up to 16 years depending on configuration.

Still looks waaaay cheaper to me to use Red Hat. And more robust and
stable, too.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Brown;Michael
FN:Michael L Brown (E-mail)
ORG:Glen Raven;Information Services
TITLE:Sr. Database Administrator
TEL;WORK;VOICE:336-586-1146
TEL;PAGER;VOICE:336-222-3912
TEL;WORK;FAX:336-586-1172
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Information Services=0D=0A1831 N. Park Ave;Glen Raven;NC;27217;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Information Services=0D=0A1831 N. Park Ave=0D=0AGlen Raven, NC 27217=0D=0AUS=
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
REV:20011016T192723Z
END:VCARD