Re: is it a real 9.0?

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 22:40, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 02:32:05PM -0500, Shawn wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 14:21, Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> > > I understand not everything works out of the box on shrike, but "binary
> > > incompatible" implies to me nothing running on 8.0 works on 9, which
> > > isn't the case for me. Anyone got an update which software definately
> > > doesn't work on 9?
> >
> > Well, just about any statically linked binary that worked under 8.0
> > won't work for me under 9 due to the TLS libc changes.
>
> That doesn't count as an ABI change - pretty sure statically linking
> to libc means you could break at any time, even due to an errata.
> Ditto for using symbols that start with "__"
>
> If the libc ABI were considered officially changed it would have gone
> to libc.so.7 and there would be libc.so.6 in a compat package.
>
> That's my understanding anyway.

I can see your view of it, but I'll just have to agree to disagree :)

The biggest problem I have with using RedHat8.x/9 is the C++ ABI change.
I'm currently the maintainer of a Linux version of a adventure game
engine (free as in beer, not as in GPL, I'm not the original author, so
I have no control over that). Just like Loki Games did, I distribute
both static and dynamic versions of the binaries. No one likes the
dynamic binary, mainly because there's about 6 different specific
versions of libraries that have to be installed, and almost no one
except RedHat users can run the binaries not only because of the C++ ABI
change brought with gcc3.2+ or because of the glibc2.3 library that
RedHat 9 has.

How does a commercial or non-commercial (in my case) developer properly
release binaries for other platforms and avoid all of these currently
very ugly issues? The last thing users really want to deal with is
library dependencies, C++ ABI changes, glibc ABI changes, etc.

Currently I'm discussing a problem with some RH people in Bugzilla about
the fact that I can compile and link a static binary on my RedHat 9
system that *won't run* on my RedHat 9 system, but will run if I reboot
to Debian Woody 3.0, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.
Especially since the same thing worked under 8.0...

--
Shawn <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.warpcore.org/