Re: RH9 bad block problems - bug ?

Jerry Williams wrote:
I have tried to install RH9 several times.  This machine has been running
RH8.0 just fine.  I tried to install RH9 as a fresh install and have it
check for bad blocks on each file system.  It is a Dell Computer with a
Maxtor 30Gig IDE disk.  When it failed I did the crtl+alt+d to test the disk
and it passed.  So then I loaded their diagnostics and ran it and it passed.

I just went through a similar experience as you with an IBM disk and learned that the vendor provided diagnostic tool (DFT) doesn't always produce accurate results. The RHL9 installer found bad blocks and recommended not using that parition, but the IBM DFT utility gave the disk a clean bill of health. I contacted Hitachi (new owners of IBM disk biz) and at their request used the DFT utility to erase the disk, reran the disk test suite, and sent the logfile over to their support engineers. Throughout every step in this process the DFT utility found no errors whatsoever in any test. The next day I got an email back from tech support and that said the log file showed unrecoverable disk errors and that I should return the disk for a warranty replacement.

So is RH9 doing -c or -c -c?

I believe it is doing a -c. Did you try switching virtual consoles during installation to see what anaconda is actually doing? That may help.

Tom