Re: : Again on: How to check *CDROM* correctness?

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 14:57:24 at 02:57:24PM +0200, Michael Schwendt (ms0301rh@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> This is due to run-out sectors at the end of the CD. It puts more
> sectors than desired into the MD5 checksum.
>
> You can try the following: Look up the size of the original ISO
> images. Divide the size by 2048 and then use "dd" to pipe the CD
> contents to "md5sum". This may or may not get rid of the I/O
> errors.
Most ftp server give a KB, not byte count. Is that enough? Once
divided that number by 2048, how would I use it as a dd option
(count=result-of-division, or something else)?

> However, if you get I/O errors in either case, the CDs should have
> been burnt in DAO mode or TAO mode _with_ padding. In case of the
> former, you would not have any problems. In case of the latter,
> you could cut sectors at the end without trouble.

How would I cut sectors, and how would I know how many? Sorry if I am
thick and abusing of your patience, but since this seems to interest
several other people too....

	Thanks in advance,
			Marco Fioretti
--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Live for the present, dream of the the future, learn from the past.