Re: : Again on: How to check *CDROM* correctness?

"M. Fioretti" wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 07:26:44 at 07:26:44AM +0200, io (m.fioretti@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >
> >       [root@xxxxxxx root]# cat /dev/cdrom | md5sum
> >       cat: /dev/cdrom: Input/output error
> >       but a checksum was indeed output
> >
> This method (at least on my computer and/or with the CDs I'm testing
> it with) is unreliable/meaningless: it gives different checksums on
> the same disc, depending on the PC load: why?

This has something to do with the way the filesystem driver does read
the CD contents - it doesn't necessarily stop exactly at the end of the
data, especially if the CD was not burned in DAO mode (sorry, I'm no
expert). I remember this discussion from several RHL lists in the past,
IIRC the fix is to dd bs=2048 (or whatever blocksize the ISO filesystem
was built with) instead of cat. Same goes for extracting the ISO
filesystem. I think you shouldn't mount the CD for that, but try what
works best...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/