point and click install on *all* rpm fails

Hi,

Usually I tend to use the command line or apt, but If I just downloaded
an rpm, I generally just click it in nautilus and enter the root passwd
and it installs, seems like its broken.

I have tried it several times and 3 different machines, logged in as
root (for a test) and also as a user, I get the login box, and then
processing headers and blah! the dialogue box vanishes and nothing, if I
then do a:

rpm -qa | grep filename

nothing, I have to use the command line to install it, has anyone else
had this problem?, if so I'll go a bug hunting.

This is the same for the rpms on the redhat cd's as well.

Mark