Re: RedHat 9 updates

Ed Wilts wrote:

And as usual, up2date does the right thing - it applies the ones that
need to be applied and skips the rest.

Interesting you say that, last night I found some unusual behavior that seemed to work out in the end.

After I got RHL9 installed, I fired up up2date to grab any updates my ISOs were missing (it was evolution, openssl, sendmail errata). After the evolution RPM was downloaded, up2date determined that it was corrupted and asked if I wanted to continue, which I chose to do. So the remaining RPMs were downloaded, up2date started its installation phase, choked on evolution and skipped over it, installed openssl, and then quit immediately.

Fearing I had a borked evolution installation, I did a quick "rpm -q evolution" and rpm reported that it wasn't installed. Then I fired up evolution from a terminal and the app started, so I figured rpmdb was screwed.

I restarted u2pdate to see if it could fix everything. This time around sendmail was reported as the only package I needed, so I let up2date take care of that, which it did.

Finally, I used "up2date evolution" and got the evolution update installed that had failed earlier. A quick rpm -q found the appropriate package in place, so all is well at this point.

up2date should not have lost the rpm info about evolution the first time around, but it was able to correct itself (with some nudging from me) and ended up doing the right thing.

Tom