Re: Graphics install fails

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 07:46:28PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Ed Wilts (ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > The video card (on board on a Presario 6000Z) is an S3 Graphics
> > ProSavage DDR.
> >
> > Red Hat Linux 8.0 detects this as VESA (generic)
> > Red Hat Linux 9.0 detects this as an S3 ProSavage KM133.
> >
> > I've tried multiple resolutions but none seem to work.  The default
> > resolution gives me a blank X screen with no cursor.  640x580 and lowres
> > both give me a horrible scrolling - mostly vertical but some horizontal.
> >
> > How can I force the installer to use a specific driver?  Or am I left to
> > install in text mode?
> >
> > It's unfortunate that what works out of the box with 7.3 and 8.0 die a
> > quick death with 9.
>
> Hm, so 9 is the first release to try and use the native driver.
>
> If you install with text mode, you may have better luck trying to
> debug the X failure post-install.

OK, I've completed a text mode install.  How do I change the driver
setting?  redhat-config-xfree86 isn't very user-friendly and although
I've been able to figure out how to set the videoram (it auto-detected
4MB even though there's 8MB), I haven't able to find out where the
graphic card choices are set.

/proc/pci reports the card as a VT8751 [ProSavageDDR P4M266]

Thanks again!
        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA