adding floppy mount/unmount icon to desktop

I have generally used KDE in the past, but am really
starting to like GNOME 2.2.

Anyway, I can't figure out how to add a floppy
mount/unmount icon to my default GNOME desktop.  I
know that CD's are automounted and a CD icon appears
when a CD is insert.  I also know that you can right
click on the desktop and go down to "Disks" where
entries for all the various removable media are.  I
also know that you can add a mount/unmount applet to
the panel, but I can't for the life of me figure out
how to add a floppy icon on the desktop that I can use
to mount/unmount.

I would appreciate any pointers.