Re: Quit your bitching

On Tuesday, Apr 1, 2003, at 10:00 US/Pacific, shrike-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Subject: Re: Quit your bitching
On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 02:34, Jesse Keating wrote:
Please, quit your bitching about RHN and your priority access. I've been
listening to people whine about it on 3 different mailing lists, and a few
different IRC channels. I've been patient, and let my ISOs continue to
download, and guess what, they finished up already. I ended up w/ 3
concurrent connections to RHN, each doing about 25KB/s. Now it's still damn
close to March 31 where I'm from, and to have the isos a full 6 days before
public release is _well_ worth a $60 RHN account.

SO, just because you didn't get a full 1M/s transfer rate, at 09:05 EST this
morning, and had to "suffer" through a slowdown, don't go bitching about it
to anybody that will listen (and even to those that won't).

lordy I hate release time... brings out the worst in everybody.

Thank you. My thoughts EXACTLY.

Well, I think some people have a legitimate gripe when they are told they will have access, and then can't even get in. I know I expected things to be slow, so I was happy to find an alternative (BitTorrent). Red Hat themselves said that demand was higher than expected, and it prevented some people from getting any access at all. Personally, I wasn't bitching; I offered an alternative. :) (Not to say that anyone was claiming I was bitching).

That said, I also downloaded all 3 images simultaneously around 3am last night direct from RHN, and pulled 80k/s on each one, so I'm assuming that additional bandwidth has been added to the mix, or enough of the initial wave has passed. I also left my BitTorrent client running for an extra 12 hours, and managed to push out 870MB myself...
--
Jarod Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>