From: George Magklaras [mailto:george.magklaras@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 12:16 PM
To: psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: make mrproper

The system architecture is determined by the processor. uname -p would
  list what is the architecture with which the current working kernel
was compiled. This choice will work but it might not be the optimal
one. The best way to determine the optimal architecture is to look at
what processor you have (cat /proc/cpuinfo). For a Pentium III based
system, the optimal architecture type is i686 for example. If your
system has a two or more procs, choose also the SMP kernel config.

What kind of processor do you have?

Quillen, Channon wrote:
> Step #3 on Redhat's site regarding "Building the Kernel" refers to copying
> the configuration file for the system's architecture from
> /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/.
>
> How do I determine my system's architecture?
> Is it 'uname -m', 'uname -p', or 'uname -i'?
>
> -Channon

George B. Magklaras

Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo