usb pen drives: mounting as a user

Hi.
  I am running redhat 8.0 on a number of lab machines.
(I know I know, I should be running Fedora, but I'm not)
I want to set things up so that students can insert USB pen drives, and
then mount the file system, assuming there is one to mount.
The first pen drive I was given to try works a treat:
  stick it in, it puts an entry in /etc/fstab and the user can run (not as
root) mount /mnt/diskonkey.

The 2nd pen drive doesn't get an entry put in /etc/fstab. So my first
question is what makes the entry? Is it updfstab? Looks like it is because
/etc/updfstab.conf.default contains the entry:
  device diskonkey {
    partition 1
    match   hd diskOnKey
  }

So I edited etc/updfstab.conf.default and added an entry for the other pen
drive:
  device usb_disk {
    partition 1
    match   hd USB
  }
[I guessed this cos of these entries in /var/log/messages:
 kernel:   Vendor:           Model: USB DISK 2.0      Rev: 1.16
 kernel:   Vendor: M-Sys     Model: DiskOnKey         Rev: 3.04

Now an entry gets put in /etc/fstab ok but only root can mount it, whereas
for the other entry any user can mount it. The entries put in /etc /fstab
are identical apart from the mountpoint and the device:
/dev/sda1     /mnt/usb_disk           auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/sdb1     /mnt/diskonkey          auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Any ideas anyone?
Also, what process looks for hotplugs?

Thanks in advance,

Ross