From: Ross Macintyre [mailto:raz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 2:29 PM
To: psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: USB pen drive

--
Ross Macintyre raz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steven W. Orr said:
> On Thursday, Nov 27th 2003 at 23:23 -0000, quoth Andy Wallace:
>
> =>On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 16:13, Ross Macintyre wrote:
> =>> Hi,
> =>>   I hope someone can help.
> =>> I run a lab of RedHat Linux machines and want to be able to let
the
> =>> students mount their USB pen drives.
> =>> I got a 512 MB drive, and this worked fine:
> =>>   an entry was made in /etc/fstab, and I mounted it (as the user
that
> was
> =>> logged in), using 'mount /mnt/diskonkey'.
> =>>   mount shows this:
> =>>      /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/diskonkey type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev)
> =>> I gor another USB pen drive (128MB), but when I insert this, no
entry
> is
> =>> made in /etc/fstab. I am, however, able to mount it as root, by
giving
> the
> =>> command 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda1(or /dev/sdb1 I can't remember)
/mnta'
> =>>
> =>
> =>My experiences may be of use to you - I'm responsible for tech
support
> =>for a large number of testers who all have USB pen drives, and who
all
> =>may at some time put them into any one of four dozen PCs running the
> =>application they're testing...
> =>
> =>My experience has been that the first pen drive inserted (after
boot) is
> =>assigned /dev/sda, the 2nd, /dev/sdb etc etc, and although
> =>/proc/bus/usb/devices keeps tabs on what's attached, /proc/scsi/*
> =>remembers all previous. However, it has a property "Attached" or
> =>"Unattached" which I use in a script to parse through
> =>/proc/scsi/usb-storage-n/n (n=0-255), stopping at the first
"Attached",
> =>then translating that into (0=a, 1=b) etc. to detect which device to
> =>mount.
> =>
> =>This is using SuSE 8.2, which makes an auto entry in fstab of
> =>/mnt/<randomlookingstring>, but my script mounts it elsewhere - you
> =>don't have to use fstab.
> =>
> =>If you want the code snippet that does this, let me know - I don't
have
> =>it in front of me now or I'd attach it.
>
> I'd just like to add one more thing: Read this month's Linux Journal.
> There's a whole article there on how it works and it goes into a fair
> amount of detail. Just one thing before you actually get to the
article
> though. When you actually mount don't forget to use -o noatime,
otherwise
> everytime you say ls it will write on the filesystem. And the drive
does
> have a limited number of writes available.

thanks to both of you for replying.
Andy I would like to look at your scripts cos it will give me an insight
into what is happening.
Steven, I never know about the Linux Jounal, but thanks, I am going to
subscribe now.

I really would like to know why one PEN drive has an entry put into
/etc/fstab and yet the other one doesn't, cos both are recognised by the
system. I was wondering if it might have something to do with the
entries
in /etc/hotplug? I particularly want /etc/fstab updated; that way I can
instruct students to just run one command when they are logged in on a
machine. Also the entry in /etc/fstab(I am running Redhat 8.0) should
have
the permissions set correctly so that only *that* user can mount and
umount the device.

Looking at /var/log/messages the only thing I can see is that the one
that
worked had this entry:
  Nov 28 kernel:   Vendor: M-Sys     Model: DiskOnKey         Re v: 3.04
and the one that didn't work, had this:
  Nov 28 kernel:   Vendor:           Model: USB DISK 2.0      Re v: 1.16

Now the entry in /etc/fstab is /mnt/diskonkey, so I was wondering if it
was something stupid like it failed to create the dir /mnt/USB DISK 2.0
because of the spaces. I wouldn't be surprised.

Ross
---

This email has been sent from Advanced Electronics Company, Ltd (AEC).
The information in this email and in any files transmitted with it,
is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Access to this email by anyone else
is unauthorized. If you receive this in error, please contact
the sender or postmaster@xxxxxxxx immediately and delete
the material from any computer. This email and its attachments
are believed to be free of any virus, or defect, but it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure this. AEC accepts no