Re: USB pen drive

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 16:13, Ross Macintyre wrote:
> Hi,
>   I hope someone can help.
> I run a lab of RedHat Linux machines and want to be able to let the
> students mount their USB pen drives.
> I got a 512 MB drive, and this worked fine:
>   an entry was made in /etc/fstab, and I mounted it (as the user that was
> logged in), using 'mount /mnt/diskonkey'.
>   mount shows this:
>      /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/diskonkey type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev)
> I gor another USB pen drive (128MB), but when I insert this, no entry is
> made in /etc/fstab. I am, however, able to mount it as root, by giving the
> command 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda1(or /dev/sdb1 I can't remember) /mnta'

My experiences may be of use to you - I'm responsible for tech support
for a large number of testers who all have USB pen drives, and who all
may at some time put them into any one of four dozen PCs running the
application they're testing...

My experience has been that the first pen drive inserted (after boot) is
assigned /dev/sda, the 2nd, /dev/sdb etc etc, and although
/proc/bus/usb/devices keeps tabs on what's attached, /proc/scsi/*
remembers all previous. However, it has a property "Attached" or
"Unattached" which I use in a script to parse through
/proc/scsi/usb-storage-n/n (n=0-255), stopping at the first "Attached",
then translating that into (0=a, 1=b) etc. to detect which device to
mount.

This is using SuSE 8.2, which makes an auto entry in fstab of
/mnt/<randomlookingstring>, but my script mounts it elsewhere - you
don't have to use fstab.

If you want the code snippet that does this, let me know - I don't have
it in front of me now or I'd attach it.

Andy