From: Jason Dale [mailto:redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 4:44 AM
To: Psyche list
Cc: Shrike list
Subject: Linux commercial backup solution

Hi,

I know this is actually an Enterprise Linux
question, but I am not receiving a response
anywhere else.

I am looking for an excellent hardware and software
tape backup solution for Red Hat linux that can
be ideal for server specs similar to those below:

* Compaq 360 G3 (2Gig Memory, 2 * 3GB Processors,
                 2 * 18 GB Disk Drives)

* Compaq 7000 (1 Gig Memory, 2-4 Processors, RAID-5
               Hotswappable Disk Bay with up to 9 disk
               slots.)

In otherwords, the "best" tape drive (storage size
can vary) combined with the "best" software package that
has the following:

   - An EASY TO USE GUI interface
   - support for most tape drives
   - Highly customizeable: full to incremental backups,
     promtps users for tapes, etc.
   - Can support backup and restore to and from archives.
   - Can support backups to hard drives local and/or
     network hard drives and SMB share locations. Must
     be able to restore from these locations

This must be a commercial hardware and software
recommendation, because we need the support, ease
of use, stability, etc. This stuff will be used on
a platinum mine, and we need a top-notch solution.
Freeware products don't have support, and they require
you to be a rocket scientist)

Thanks :)

Jason