Re: Checking Port Usage

nmap will show the open ports of the machine, but it will label them according to its own rules.

The best thing to do is to use netstat. As root, if you do:

netstat -p -a -A inet

This will list all the processes that are bound to certain ports. Depending on how active is your system, you might get a lot of output. In that case, I would also pipe that to grep LISTEN (squid will be probably running in listen mode, attached to an endpoint).

netstat -p -a -A inet | grep LISTEN

Regards,

George B. Magklaras

Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo

--

Corey Hart wrote:
What program or possibly how can I check what service is using which port.
I'm trying to set up Squid to use port 80 and I'm getting an error that the
port is in use

TIA
Blessing

nmap, it almost always installs with the base install ./nmap localhost