RE: ATI TV Wonder VE

>Message: 2
>Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:37:46 -0400
>From: mwvonlehe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>To: psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: ATI TV Wonder VE
>
>Hello everyone,
>
>I just got an "ATI TV Wonder VE" TV tuner and video capture card!
>With redhat 8 and redhat 9 I have the same problem. The audio continues to play after I "quit" the "xawtv" program.
>
>I set up the /etc/modules.conf file to correctly identify the card and tuner type. Or so I think...
>Here is what I added to modules.conf:
>
>alias char-major-81 bttv
>options bttv        card=64
>options tuner       type=2

This is correct.

>Is there any way to make it quit the program by issuing the "q" command >without having to manually unload the bttv module from the soundcore >module?

Yes there is. The way that I did it was to make a shell script. I put it in the /usr/bin directory. I call it "run-xawtv". In it I put

#!/bin/sh
xawtv
rmmod -a soundcore
rmmod -a soundcore

and set the permissions to User -rwe, Group -re, and others -re.

I then linked the script from my desktop to /usr/bin/run-xawtv

Now when I click on the link it starts xawtv. When I hit "q" or select it from the pop up window, xawtv then quits and then the second and third line of the script runs which then in turn removes the bttv module from the sound module!

I solved my own problem and I want to share the solution with the rest of the redhat community.

>My soundcard is a "CM8738" which is using the "cmpci" module that I had to manually setup because redhat's kudzu didn't automatically pick it up. I wonder if this is part of the problem because whein I use mplayer I have to adjust the sound through kmix volume control instead of using the volume control on mplayer which actually controls the volume through "pcm".
>
>Also I was wondering if it could be a new tuner that ATI is using that is different than earlier models of the other TV Wonder boards.

This I don't know, but I am going to buy a sb Live card and then test again.

Michael von Lehe