Re: TCP & UDP Port Question

> I have a RedHat 8.0 box running Apache and Mailman. I am trying to
make sure
> it is locked down. When I run a port scan with nmap, I find the
following
> TCP ports open:
>
> 25 -- Mail
> 80 -- WWW
> 111 -- SUN RPC
> 443 -- SSL
> 515 -- spooler
> 6000 --  X Windows
> 32768 -- Filenet
>
> Now, I know I need 80 and 25 open, but can't I just close the rest?
How do I
> close a specific port within the RedHat OS?
>
> One last question, the port scan also returns 81 UDP ports as open or
not
> answering, should I close these as well?
>
> I would appreciate any info.....

Further to Corey's good advice-----

How was your firewall created?  With Lokkit? Try /usr/sbin/lokkit and
use the customize feature.

-or, if that doesn't work out-

Try /sbin/iptables-save > myfirewall.  That should dump your firewall
rules
to the file myfirewall.  You should see a rule for each of the holes in
the firewall.
A hole will have the target of "ACCEPT".  Assuming each chain is set up
to DROP
anything not specifically ACCEPTed, you can edit out  the rules
containing the
111, 443, 515, 6000, and 32768 ports one by one and test to make sure
you don't
need them.

You can then restore it with /sbin/iptables-restore < myfirewall and
make sure
the same thing happens when you reboot.

You'll need to study IPTABLES to make sure you accomplish
what you want.  See www.netfilter.org.  There are some good scripts
available
from www.shorewall.net  as mentioned earlier in this list which will
build