[linux-users] Re: [edlug] gnome doesn't let NFS users login.

On 07 Oct 2003 12:18:56 +0100 "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 11:35, Ross Macintyre wrote:
>
> > What I see on the server with the problem is this in
> > /var/log/messages:
> >
> >   shakti kernel: RPC: Can't bind to reserved port (98).
> >   shakti kernel: lockd: cannot monitor 137.195.15.43
>
> Is there anything else there in the logs from statd?
>
> Error 98 is "can't bind to reserved port", and it occurs if the kernel
> cannot find one single port less than 800 that's free to bind to in
> order to talk to the statd daemon.  Try running a "netstat" to see what
> is binding to all those ports.

Thanks for this Stephen. Actually before I could do this, our server
has been rebooted and gnome has started working again.
What I had noticed was that the users file systems had not been
mounted with the usrquota option and yet our automounter on the
clients was set to mount using this option. Don't know if this caused
the problem, but it's working at the moment.

(Before the server was rebooted, I frigged the automounter to mount
with nolock, and this let me login using gnome, but the windows were
all screwed up). So it was certainly a locking problem probably
caused by the portmapper on the server..... but why this should
happen is anybody's guess.

Cheers,

Ross

> Cheers,