Re: cdrecord how to's for data disks?

help@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone suggest some good how to documents or a manual for using cdrecord
in red hat 8?  Either web based or a book or pdf?

I can man cdrecord but was hoping for more detailed info on cdrecord with
some step by step guides as to how to burn data disks.

Thanks for any info.

For burning data cd's, I first make a .iso image with mkisofs:

To make an iso image of the directory /home and everything under it:

   (as root):
   cd /
   mkisofs -r -o home.iso /home/

Then to burn it to cd-r:

cdrecord driveropts=burnfree -v dev=0,0,0 speed=16 home.iso

To get the proper device numbers, run

cdrecord --scanbus

The CD recording HOWTO is over 3 years old and has some good and some old info.