Trouble mounting a CD Rom Drive

Hi,

Was having trouble today mounting a CD rom drive in a RH 8 2.4 box today.  I
put in a blank CD-R and tried several commands such as ?mount /dev/cdrom?
and
mount /mnt/cdrom and either got cdrom not found errors or can?t find media
errors.

Can anyone give me any suggestions or idea as to what I did wrong?  I was
trying to format a new blank disk and then write to it.  I rarely use it so
cd roms in a linux box is fairly new to me.  I was also reading my RH 8
Linux server book by Kabir and it is very thin on CD rom mounting and
management.

Should I have used an mt or mnt command instead?

Also can anyone recommend to me either a good book or on line documentation
about managing CD roms and floppy drives for a RH 8 system?

This is what I have in fstab:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda7               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0
0

Thanks for any info.