Re: what settings to do on linux box to enable login from any network node using telnet

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 14:24, valeed wrote:
> hi all ,
> I am new to linux ,

welcome!

> I have installed redhat 8 on a p4 2.4 ghz ,
> would like to know how do i login to my linux box from any network pc
> using telnet,

You should use ssh instead of telnet.  Its just as easy to set up and
provides excellent security.  Also, ssh lets you do what you want in
your next question between two linux boxes.

All you need to do to enable sshd (the daemon that handles ssh
connections), assuming you don't have a firewall, run
`redhat-config-services` and add `sshd` to runlevel 3 and 5.  Start it
here as well so you want to use it straight away.

> also is there any emulation software that works from windows & gives
> me the gui of linux the 'X' screen

Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) provides an X server for windows.  when you
install cygwin, select and the X Server items (you don't need all of
them - that would take a long time to download and install, but I don't
remember which ones you do need).  Then from the cygwin prompt you can
run `X -query linux_machine`.

However, this requires gdm on the linux machine to accept remote
connections, which isn't on by default.  Come back here for that one
though when you've succeeded in the other things!

Hope this helps,
Iain