RE: Command not found on world writeble list

help@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran the below commands on my RH 8 system and got a command not found
> error.  The below is supposed to e-mail me a mail message containing
> all world-writable files on my system
>
> Can anyone give me suggestions or advice as to what I did wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> [root@www etc]# find / ! -fstype proc -perm ! -type l -ls 2>&1 | \
> Mail -s 1world writable` help@xxxxxxxxxxx
>>
> [root@www etc]# find / ! -fstype proc -perm -2 ! -type l -ls 2>&1 | \
> Mail -s 'world writable' help@xxxxxxxxxxx
> -bash:  Mail: command not found
> [root@www etc]# find / ! -fstype proc -perm -2 ! -type l -ls 2>&1 | \
> Mail -s `world writable` help@xxxxxxxxxxx
> -bash: world: command not found
> -bash:  Mail: command not found
> [root@www etc]# find / ! -fstype proc -perm -2 ! -type l -ls \ |&
> mail -s `world writable` help@xxxxxxxxxxx`
> -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&'
> [root@www etc]# find / ! -fstype proc -perm -2 ! -type l -ls \ |&
> mail -s 'world writable' help@xxxxxxxxxxx`
> -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&'

Please read the man pages on bash (man bash). In particular, the section
labled QUOTING. The answer to your question is there.

BTW: based on my understanding of your goal - the use of the & is not needed
in any of the above find | mail examples. Consider reading about the use of
the & while reading the bash man pages.

Steve Cowles