Adding new e1000 driver to pxe initrd

Hi,

I’m attempting to add a newer version of e1000.o and e100.o to the initrd.img included in the /images/pxeboot directory of the Redhat 8.0 CD1.  I have hardware which requires the use of the newer driver and also have a need to use the default RH 8.0 kernel.

I have successfully added my compiled versions of e1000.o and e100.o to the initrd.img, and have updated the pcitables to recognize my new hardware, but get symbol errors when the driver loads so I suspect I have a problem in the way that I compile the driver.

I have a fresh install of Redhat 8.0 that I am attempting to compile the e1000 and e100 source from.  I do the following:

In the 2.4.18-14 source tree , I copy configs/2.4.18-14-i386-BOOT to .config and do a make clean dep.

Once that completes I modify include/linux/version.h to return 2.4.18-14BOOT when compiling the drivers so the module won’t fail to load simply because the kernel versions do not match.

I then enter the e1000 source and the e100 source and do a make to compile the module.  Both modules compile without error.

However after adding them to the initrd.img and booting from the network, I see symbol errors when the modules are loaded.

Can anyone point out what I’m doing wrong here?  Any tips welcome.

Thanks,

-Randy