RE: Error on running tar -zxvf /dev/st0

>This error looks like one that I get when I try to read a tar tape on an
>SGI machine that was created on an HP machine. To get it to work, I have
>to use a different device file (on an SGI machine, it's something like
>/dev/rmt/tps0d4ns). Not being familiar with Mondo, I don't know if tar
>can read Mondo's format. You could do an  'ls /dev/st0*' and try the
>different tape devices you find.
>
>tar tvf /dev/st0a
>tar tvf /dev/st0l     .......
>
>but my guess is that if it's a Mondo created tape you might have to use
>something like mondorestore..... Jesse, can you shed some light on this?

Hi Randy,

I took your advice, ran the below and got:

[root@www dev]# ls st0*
st0  st0a  st0l  st0m
[root@www dev]#

[root@www dev]# tar tvf /dev/st0m
tar: /dev/st0m: Cannot read: No such device or address
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

[root@www dev]# tar tvf /dev/st01
tar: /dev/st01: Cannot open: No such file or directory

[root@www dev]# tar tvf /dev/st0a
tar: /dev/st0a: Cannot read: No such device or address
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

[root@www dev]# tar tvf /dev/st0
tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Cannot allocate memory
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

The backup software I'm using is described at http://www.mondorescue.org/
It's an open source disaster recovery RPM, just
installed it.  I asked over at the
mondo list to see if tar can read a mondo format, still
waiting for a reply over there.