Re: Plans to include Mondo Rescue backup in Red Hat distributions?

On Thursday 11 September 2003 23:32, support@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I was reading up on Mondo Rescue which is an open source one button
> restore backup solution at http://www.mondorescue.org/
>
> Their site says that currently this package is shipped with most
> Linux distributions except Red Hat 8 and 9.
>
> On the Mondo site it says "Red Hat 8.0 and Mandrake 9.0 break several
> dependencies and require special RPM'sâ
> Has anyone had experience installing Mondo and were there any
> problems, server crahses, etc?

Hrm, the statement about RHL8 is rather false.  It doesn't break any
deps, rather requires some packages that aren't included, such as afio,
lzo, lzop, and possibly buffer.  Previous versions of Red Hat required
an updated version of syslinux, which needed to include isolinux.  This
isn't the case w/ RHL8 anymore.

> I was wondering if anyone had trouble with Mondo running on a Red Hat
> 8 2.4.x box?
> Is it reliable, secure, etc?  I was thinking about using it.

It's reliable if you stick w/ the stable packages.  There has been a LOT
of development work done over the last few months, and we're in a
feature freeze, code cleanup process right now, trying to get another
stable release out there as a candidate for inclusion in various
distros.  I'm the RPM maintainer of mondo (although I've slacked a bit
as of late) and I'll probably be the champion of trying to get it
included.  Mondo itself isn't terribly insecure, but it is a root only
tool, so if somebody is running mondo, then they're root and you've got
more to worry about then something they might do w/ mondo.  We try to
fix any security flaw that is pointed out to us though.

> Also does anyone know of any plans of Red Hat shipping Mondo with
> future RH distributions?

Most likely, this will wind up being a community provided package.  RH
is trying to thin down what they provide in the base distro, and rely
upon community provided packages for the extra things like this.  We
may try to get mondo hosted at freshrpms or one of the other
respectable repositories, but I'd like to get the next stable release
out and stable before we persue such plans.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: